Search This Blog

Thursday 27 December 2012

Class 6- Saturday, April 6, 2013.

Finished but not forgotten:
Although this is the last class in the technology course, it is just the beginning of my drive to continue learning how to integrate a variety of technoloy in the classroom to support all the diverse learners.
 
 
Case Study Presentations:
 
Today we all presented our case study of students who we attempted to further assist, using appropriate high, mid and/or low technologies for their needs. Presentations covered using technologies from special pencils to assist with grips, templates to assist with writing, pool noodles to create a slanted work surface, apps (majority of them free) that cover fine motor skills/communication/relaxation/speech to text, Apple devices and the accessibility options that they already have built in, as well as a variety of learning games.

A few points that were brought to light and hit home are:
- The importance of following adaptations, they were developed for the benefit of the student. Frustration can set in for the student when the student is expected to do something they are not capable of. It is not fair to the student to ignore strategies that have already been proven to help.
- Access resources from the board such as Assitive Tech. that can help us and the student by providing access the most optimum products for you and the student
 - The goal is to empower the student. We have to ask, "What can we do to help them become more independent/be able to communicate more efficiently?"
- Everyone needs to be on board, training and modelling for all (Teachers, EPAs, parents, etc.) is needed
-  We have to be fluid and flexible! Make adjustments as we go/as necessary!
 
When putting my Power Point presentation together, I kept going back to one slide in particular, the slide that has a picture with the student holding up his work to show me and dawning a smile as wide as he was tall.
 
I wish I could post the photo here to show you the pride and sense of accomplishment this 6 year was beaming with. As I went through the presentation to make sure I covered everything I realised, in the big picture it does not matter if my presentation covers everything, what matters is the ground my student has covered and the impact the assistance I have provided has has on him. All of this is evident in that one photo.
 
This assignment pushed me to take the time to really get to know the student and his needs, not that I wasn't aware of them and working on them before, but because of all I am learning in this course I took a closer look at a greater variety of technology to assist him. I was constantly reevaluating my methods to ensure I was meeting his needs the best I could. Another lesson I take away from this assignment is to treat every student as a case study. Whether enrolled in a course or not, I need to continue learning so that I can provide the best possible assistance to my students.
 
This course has provided me with a plethora of "tools" for my toolbox to assist students in their development. Having my own Blog, and access to the Blogs from everyone else in the class, will give me the opportunity to revisit my discoveries and reflections as well as those made by others. One, of the many, great features about the Blogs we have done is that we can all go back to them each year as we encounter new students who have their own unique needs. It is also a place I can continue to document my learning to refer back to and share with others.
 
We all have students who need some "extras" to assist them along the way, be it extra resources, extra time, extra help, etc. As this, my last course of this Inclusive Education M.Ed, comes to end I find an important link to the first course of this degree I started two summers ago. The lesson carried throughout this degree is that we have to take the time to really get to know our students and what they are carrying around with them in their "virtual backpack" each day.
 
 
 Check out the Blogs by my classmates:
 
5173 Halifax Winter 2013 Blogs
 
tnoseworthyed5173.blogspot.com Tiffaney Noseworthy 
maoleary.blogspot.com Melanie OLeary
http://gdentre.blogspot.ca/ Gerri Dentremont
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment